GameSlurp




Go Back   GameSlurp > Gaming Forum (>>) PSV, VITA


Log-in/register to unlock all the member quick-links and features!
Reply
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »


Mal
Member
Mal is Male   Mal is offline
 
I own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Gamecube
Join Date: Mar 2007
UK
Posts: 38

 
07-02-2012, 11:12 PM
#21

Re: Playstation Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazriko View Post
That's really not the case universally. I certainly have a smart phone and in finding it lacking, have not just 1, but 4 other handheld consoles and will be buying a 5th soon. I have a friend with both a smart phone, an iPod touch, who still has a PSP for the more in depth gaming experiences. I also listen to a number of podcasts where those doing the podcast have phones, game on phones regularly, but still are planning on purchasing a Vita. While there may be some who will be satisfied with the third-rate gaming to be had on such devices, it will never be universal until those devices are producing the same level of experience found on dedicated systems.

I hear more people in the media proposing those arguments than I hear actual smart phone consumers proposing them...
Smartphones won’t compete with hand held consoles as the purpose of a phone isn’t to game, thus its why there not on a universal level.

Smartphones allow you to have both worlds at the regression of gaming technology in an affordable solution.


     
Kazriko's Avatar
Kazriko
Senior Member
Kazriko is Male   Kazriko is offline
 
I own a Playstation 3. My Playstation Network ID is: KazrikoI own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Sony Playstation 2I own a Xbox. My Xbox Live ID is: KazrikoI own a Gamecube
Join Date: Feb 2007
Western US
Posts: 4,494

 
08-02-2012, 07:34 AM
#22

Re: Playstation Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Smartphones wonít compete with hand held consoles as the purpose of a phone isnít to game, thus its why there not on a universal level.

Smartphones allow you to have both worlds at the regression of gaming technology in an affordable solution.
The question is more of if they are actually affordable. If you don't get them on a contract, then you're paying $400-600. Especially if it's a relatively new phone or an iPhone. Then if you do get it on a contract, you're on the hook for more than $1200, and for a top of the line phone you still might pay $200 up front.

I will admit, my phone has replaced my PSP for a couple of things. I don't listen to podcasts on the PSP anymore because the phone has an app that automatically retrieves new episodes and plays them at 1.5x or 1.75x speed. I also don't use the PSP for web browsing, but I barely did that to begin with. But every time I've tried to play a game on it, it's just been a miserable experience.


     
jotch's Avatar
jotch
Moderator
jotch is Male   jotch is offline
 
I own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a XboxI own a Gamecube
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bromley
Posts: 6,308

 
08-02-2012, 10:46 AM
#23

Re: Playstation Vita

If I wanted a full on gaming experience on the move the I whip out my DS or PSP but for short trips and something to pass the time then my phone has me covered...even solitaire is more than adequate.

You have a point with the price tho Kaz, if I weren't getting my phone free on contract (as free as it can be) then I'd be gaming more on a PSP or saving my money for a Vita. I guess it comes down to how often you have a need for portable gaming.


     
Mal
Member
Mal is Male   Mal is offline
 
I own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Gamecube
Join Date: Mar 2007
UK
Posts: 38

 
08-02-2012, 04:57 PM
#24

Re: Playstation Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazriko View Post
The question is more of if they are actually affordable. If you don't get them on a contract, then you're paying $400-600. Especially if it's a relatively new phone or an iPhone. Then if you do get it on a contract, you're on the hook for more than $1200, and for a top of the line phone you still might pay $200 up front.

I will admit, my phone has replaced my PSP for a couple of things. I don't listen to podcasts on the PSP anymore because the phone has an app that automatically retrieves new episodes and plays them at 1.5x or 1.75x speed. I also don't use the PSP for web browsing, but I barely did that to begin with. But every time I've tried to play a game on it, it's just been a miserable experience.
Most prefer contracts to pay as you go thus the prominence of contracts shows the average person to use more texts than minutes. Hence, few people opt for pay as you go, which says a phone is cheaper than a hand held console.

With smartphones, the experience suffices to be enjoyable albeit the level isn’t the same as a hand held console. As a result, the paucity of quality leads to affordability.

In addition, new technology will supplement for the lack of an experience.


     
Kazriko's Avatar
Kazriko
Senior Member
Kazriko is Male   Kazriko is offline
 
I own a Playstation 3. My Playstation Network ID is: KazrikoI own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Sony Playstation 2I own a Xbox. My Xbox Live ID is: KazrikoI own a Gamecube
Join Date: Feb 2007
Western US
Posts: 4,494

 
08-02-2012, 06:10 PM
#25

Re: Playstation Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Most prefer contracts to pay as you go thus the prominence of contracts shows the average person to use more texts than minutes. Hence, few people opt for pay as you go, which says a phone is cheaper than a hand held console.

With smartphones, the experience suffices to be enjoyable albeit the level isnít the same as a hand held console. As a result, the paucity of quality leads to affordability.

In addition, new technology will supplement for the lack of an experience.
I'm sure that for a subset of people, this will be true. There's still people whose only gaming experience is playing Farmville on Facebook as well. Those will probably never go away and it's healthy to have a gaming market that caters to a range of tastes. All I'm saying is that the people who want more from their gaming experience will also probably not go away. Until phones give you a control experience that is up to the standards of the portables, there will be a number of holdouts from the smartphone gaming experience.

Also, as phone experiences get closer to handhelds, I believe handhelds will continue to get closer to what you get on a full home console as well. It'll be interesting to see if phones with their PC style improvement cycles can come up with controls that work even a quarter as well as the handhelds of the next generation out.


     
Mal
Member
Mal is Male   Mal is offline
 
I own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Gamecube
Join Date: Mar 2007
UK
Posts: 38

 
08-02-2012, 10:49 PM
#26

Re: Playstation Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazriko View Post
I'm sure that for a subset of people, this will be true. There's still people whose only gaming experience is playing Farmville on Facebook as well. Those will probably never go away and it's healthy to have a gaming market that caters to a range of tastes. All I'm saying is that the people who want more from their gaming experience will also probably not go away. Until phones give you a control experience that is up to the standards of the portables, there will be a number of holdouts from the smartphone gaming experience.

Also, as phone experiences get closer to handhelds, I believe handhelds will continue to get closer to what you get on a full home console as well. It'll be interesting to see if phones with their PC style improvement cycles can come up with controls that work even a quarter as well as the handhelds of the next generation out.
The incorporation of handheld controls into a phone isn’t practical due to the controls must have leeway to be effective. Therefore, the additional space forms a clunky device.

Although, the inclusion of a touchscreen has set a solid foundation on controls as developers have the option to choose between two methods of control. These are; entire touchscreen ability or using a (HUD) heads up display to act as model controls, which substitutes for the lack of a physical side.

The adequate physical representation diminishes the requirement of a real control set though an actual control set would be easier.


     
Kazriko's Avatar
Kazriko
Senior Member
Kazriko is Male   Kazriko is offline
 
I own a Playstation 3. My Playstation Network ID is: KazrikoI own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Sony Playstation 2I own a Xbox. My Xbox Live ID is: KazrikoI own a Gamecube
Join Date: Feb 2007
Western US
Posts: 4,494

 
09-02-2012, 05:32 AM
#27

Re: Playstation Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The incorporation of handheld controls into a phone isnít practical due to the controls must have leeway to be effective. Therefore, the additional space forms a clunky device.

Although, the inclusion of a touchscreen has set a solid foundation on controls as developers have the option to choose between two methods of control. These are; entire touchscreen ability or using a (HUD) heads up display to act as model controls, which substitutes for the lack of a physical side.

The adequate physical representation diminishes the requirement of a real control set though an actual control set would be easier.
True, but in order to make it work on a phone where you use your fingers rather than a stylus, and even when you do have a stylus to use, it's wide and imprecise... You have to use very large controls that take up most of the screen. This means you not only have less real-estate for the actual game, but you have very few controls that you can present to the user. This doesn't lend itself to the kind of deep gaming that you normally see on any other platform. Professor Layton style games, for instance, would be hard to do on a phone because you can't get the precision touches needed to search the background scenery for hint coins and hidden puzzles. Sadly, the Vita will also have this problem with Layton games...

In addition, touch screen controls where you try to control a traditional game using virtual d-pads and buttons tend to be very non-responsive and error-prone, making any sort of skill based gaming or platforming an exercise in frustration. No matter what kind of "physical representation" you put on the screen, it's not going to permit you to play this kind of game frustration-free. I abandoned playing Zenonia on the phone because the screen controls were too touchy and imprecise, and the keyboard controls were non-configurable.

Honestly, after trying a dozen games on my phone, the only one I still play is Blast Monkeys, and I find it to be ridiculously simplistic and tedious, but at least it has the appropriate controls for a phone. (Of course, the entire control scheme could be replaced with a single button.) If I had that other platform of game, I could probably play the Final Fantasy 1/2 games as well, but their entire touch screen control scheme could be replaced by 5 buttons...


     
Kazriko's Avatar
Kazriko
Senior Member
Kazriko is Male   Kazriko is offline
 
I own a Playstation 3. My Playstation Network ID is: KazrikoI own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Sony Playstation 2I own a Xbox. My Xbox Live ID is: KazrikoI own a Gamecube
Join Date: Feb 2007
Western US
Posts: 4,494

 
10-02-2012, 12:05 AM
#28

Re: Playstation Vita

The Wipeout fans will probably like this video...



     
Mal
Member
Mal is Male   Mal is offline
 
I own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Gamecube
Join Date: Mar 2007
UK
Posts: 38

 
10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
#29

Re: Playstation Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazriko View Post
True, but in order to make it work on a phone where you use your fingers rather than a stylus, and even when you do have a stylus to use, it's wide and imprecise... You have to use very large controls that take up most of the screen. This means you not only have less real-estate for the actual game, but you have very few controls that you can present to the user. This doesn't lend itself to the kind of deep gaming that you normally see on any other platform. Professor Layton style games, for instance, would be hard to do on a phone because you can't get the precision touches needed to search the background scenery for hint coins and hidden puzzles. Sadly, the Vita will also have this problem with Layton games...

In addition, touch screen controls where you try to control a traditional game using virtual d-pads and buttons tend to be very non-responsive and error-prone, making any sort of skill based gaming or platforming an exercise in frustration. No matter what kind of "physical representation" you put on the screen, it's not going to permit you to play this kind of game frustration-free. I abandoned playing Zenonia on the phone because the screen controls were too touchy and imprecise, and the keyboard controls were non-configurable.

Honestly, after trying a dozen games on my phone, the only one I still play is Blast Monkeys, and I find it to be ridiculously simplistic and tedious, but at least it has the appropriate controls for a phone. (Of course, the entire control scheme could be replaced with a single button.) If I had that other platform of game, I could probably play the Final Fantasy 1/2 games as well, but their entire touch screen control scheme could be replaced by 5 buttons...
I still think for the average user who games a bit on the side will find a smartphone sufficient.

On that note: We have hijacked the thread enough so we will leave our discussion here.

Thanks for the short debate.


     
Kazriko's Avatar
Kazriko
Senior Member
Kazriko is Male   Kazriko is offline
 
I own a Playstation 3. My Playstation Network ID is: KazrikoI own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Sony Playstation 2I own a Xbox. My Xbox Live ID is: KazrikoI own a Gamecube
Join Date: Feb 2007
Western US
Posts: 4,494

 
10-02-2012, 09:43 PM
#30

Re: Playstation Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I still think for the average user who games a bit on the side will find a smartphone sufficient.

On that note: We have hijacked the thread enough so we will leave our discussion here.

Thanks for the short debate.
Sure, and I agree with the last statement there anyway. In any case, I prepaid my Vita yesterday, and ordered my 32-gig memory card.


     
© Copyright 2008, Gameslurp   GameSlurp | Contact Us | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top