GameSlurp

Go Back   GameSlurp > Gaming Forum (>>) 360, DS, Mobile, PC, PS3, PSP, wii

Log-in/register to unlock all the member quick-links and features!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

sainraja

I own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a PCI own a DSI own a Gamecube
Ashburn

27-10-2011, 06:30 AM

Re: Next game you're looking forward to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazriko View Post
Uncharted 3... Of course...
The above....

Slo Gun

I own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a PCI own a DSI own a Xbox. My Xbox Live ID is: RagorooI own a Gamecube
Leeds

27-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazriko View Post
I almost didn't answer this dumb question, but *shrug* gotta feed the trolls once in awhile or the undersides of bridges will go unguarded.

Between Uncharted 2 and Killzone 3, they are pretty close to maxing it out. The point of having untapped power at launch is to make the later games better than the earlier games on the same console, and much better than a PC built entirely out of 2006 parts costing $600 at that time could do. It's certainly not going to compare to the top of the line computer released in 2011, or even a midrange computer in 2011.

That's why the 6-7 year console release spacing exists, to bring consoles back up to the level of modern PCs with a bit of potential to spare every so often. (Don't worry, just like the PS2, the PS3 will continue to be with us for even longer than the 10 year lifecycle states it will be, it's just going to become the new budget console.)
Uncharted 2 came out 2 years ago, and you were still banging on about untapped power then. The fact is you can run all these games on low end hardware at low res with low frame rates, its not a big deal.
The cell still is and always has been mildly average and never really brought anything beneficial to the console.
There are plenty of 360 exclusives that equal the playstation in visuals, and everybody knows that the majority of cross platform games run or look worse on the ps3.

Mal

I own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Gamecube
UK

27-10-2011, 03:15 PM

Paramount MW3 (eager to get my hands on a copy) and a few other games, such as Uncharted 3 et cetera.

Hackiko

I own a Nintendo Wii
Durham, UK

27-10-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smak View Post
Forget BF3 I'm waiting for BF4!!!

[/url]

Kazriko

I own a Playstation 3. My Playstation Network ID is: KazrikoI own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Sony Playstation 2I own a Xbox. My Xbox Live ID is: KazrikoI own a Gamecube
Western US

27-10-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo Gun View Post
Uncharted 2 came out 2 years ago, and you were still banging on about untapped power then. The fact is you can run all these games on low end hardware at low res with low frame rates, its not a big deal.
You completely missed the point of the post. You also seem to lack an understanding about first, second, and third generation games. Lets start from the basics.

A. The point of a console is to provide a stable platform so that for 5 years, give or take, the user will not need to put constant upgrades in place to keep up with the games coming out. This reduces the cost of gaming for the average user, allowing them to spend a set amount over 5 years rather than spending $500 for the computer the first year, then $300 every year thereafter to keep it updated in technology.

B. A console's lifecycle consists of several stages, and the games for those consoles also go through multiple stages. They don't perfectly correspond though.
1. Early adopter console, First generation games.
2. Wider adoption of console, second generation games.
3. Mainstream adoption of console. Late second generation, early third generation games
4. Late mainstream, early budget console. Third generation games firmly entrenched. New console will come out at some point in this time.
5. late budget console, primarily cross platform, budget titles, and stragglers from japan.

For the console to keep going through all phases of the console, it has to keep up with the PC for the first 2 stages. Once it's past that, the power you can wring out of the console keeps diminishing. First gen games might use 33-60% of a console, second gen games are going to be using 90-95%, and third generation games will be closer to 98%. There's not going to be as drastic of improvements after the second generation, but you will see a whole lot of polish and perfecting of what you had in the second generation.

These curves will be different for the different consoles. The 360 for example was probably more like 60-95-98 to the PS3's 40-90-98 curve. PC games, btw, probably never go above 50% of utilization of the hardware available to them because of their constant update, constant early adopter status...

Uncharted 2 was a second-gen game, Killzone 3 is an early third generation game. Uncharted 3 will probably be the pinnacle of what you're going to see games look like on the PS3, and you're not going to see any drastic improvements from that summit.

Both the 360 and PS3 are approaching the end of the 3rd stage of their lifecycle, to enter the 4th stage by the end of next year...

Quote:
The cell still is and always has been mildly average and never really brought anything beneficial to the console.

There are plenty of 360 exclusives that equal the playstation in visuals, and everybody knows that the majority of cross platform games run or look worse on the ps3.
If you understood the hardware of the two systems, you would know that you just undercut your whole argument. The graphics chip on the 360 is a fair bit more powerful than the graphics chip on the PS3. If your 360 exclusives only "equal" the PS3 exclusives, then where is that extra power coming from on the PS3 side? It's the cell chip, keeping the PS3 from falling behind the 360 where both sides are trying to maximize the performance of their respective systems.

Not only do companies not try to keep cross platform games at maximum performance on the PS3 in most cases, often Microsoft forbids them from utilizing features on the PS3 that do not exist on the 360. They have stated frequently that they will refuse to publish any game on the 360 that comes out earlier on the PS3, or that utilizes PS3 features unavailable on the 360. There have still been a few examples of cross platform games that were better on the PS3 (The Darkness, Saboteur, FF13, utilizing Bluray and Cell enhancements) but most companies don't even try.

Kazriko

I own a Playstation 3. My Playstation Network ID is: KazrikoI own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a DSI own a Sony Playstation 2I own a Xbox. My Xbox Live ID is: KazrikoI own a Gamecube
Western US

27-10-2011, 11:56 PM

(BTW, in reference to the PC only using 50% of its available power...

That isn't a knock against the PC really. Imagine that the PS3 has 1000 units of power and they've powered up to the point where the games are using about 980 of them. The PC though has advanced to where it has over 10000 units of power, even if it only uses 20%, that's still going to crush the PS3 graphics wise. The technology has just moved on in the 5 years since it was released. That's fine, just means that they need to release a PS4 with 10000-20000 units of processing power.)

sainraja

Ashburn

28-10-2011, 06:09 AM

I have a feeling that he still won't get it....

Smak

Leicestershire, UK

28-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
I have a feeling that he still won't get it....
Lol, how wrong, he gets it, don't take the bait.

arenoriu
Banned

I own a Nintendo Wii
Beijing

09-10-2012, 02:38 AM

can't wait for the next gen!

Haha

stuiebluie
Forum Editor

I own a Nintendo WiiI own a Sony PSPI own a Gamecube
Bedfordshire, UK

10-10-2012, 11:32 PM

I've just orderd Dishonored, Dead or Alive 5 and XCOM for the PS3, can't wait for Retro City Rampage on the Vita either, should be with us in th UK in the next week or two.

© Copyright 2008, Gameslurp   GameSlurp | Contact Us | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top